Support Local Journalism


ELLENSBURG- Some say she's just the free spirit of a former student, now returned.

Others say she committed suicide after discovering the love of her life was killed in action during World War II.

What is for certain, is that the story of a "spirit" known as Lola has a legacy that has lived on in Kamola Hall on Central Washington University's Campus for decades.

Walking through Kamola's halls Thursday afternoon, one student had written "Lola Kamola was here," on a whiteboard outside their room.

Another said they heard stories that a student was awakened by music from their computer that mysteriously started to play by itself.

A third just laughed at the idea of a ghost in their hall.

"There's all different kinds of speculation with Lola, how she has arrived or may have arrived at Kamola," said Becky Watson, director of public relations and marketing. "There's (theories) that she just showed up after being gone or she may have committed suicide.

"No one really knows the true story."

CWU's photographer Richard Villacres says he dealt with Lola personally during a photo shoot in 2002, prior to the Kamola hall remodel.

Villacres and a woman modeling a 1940s era wedding dress made their way up to the attic of Kamola hall, which in one tale is where the ghost allegedly hanged herself after discovering her fiance had been killed.

During the photo shoot things seemed fine. Then he developed his film.

"I shot three rolls of film inside Kamola of my model, and the three rolls of film that I shot inside — two of them came out black, nothing — which has never, ever happened to me," Villacres said.

Getting angered by the apparent camera malfunction, Villacres was surprised to see the third roll of film developed — but not into something that he took.

"The one roll that came out had all kinds of bizarre fogging and weird marks on it," Villacres said. "Especially one that was taken in the hallway inside. There is this ghostly figure in the background — all this weird effect is on there. I had no explanation for that."

Puzzled, and throughly creeped out, Villacres had the film sent back to Polaroid to see if there was anything wrong. They said there was nothing.

He developed other photos he had taken that day outside the building. They turned out fine. He took his camera out on another shoot, and again, everything was working perfectly.

Just not in Kamola's attic.

"She screwed with my film, and, honestly, I have no explanation for it," Villacres said. "Something weird happened."


Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.