An outpouring of support from professional journalists and Central Washington University alumni surfaced on social media following demonstrations by student media members about recent administrative policies requiring the presubmission of questions for interviews.

Associated Press writer and Central alum Tim Booth posted to Twitter Wednesday "I'm a proud @CentralWashU grad ... but what is going on in regard to how CWU is treating student journalists is a terrible stance. Stop it, now."

In his replies several other graduates expressed their disappointment.

The school released its statement Thursday, saying it "in no way censors its students. As an institution of higher education, our goal with student media is to provide resources to do interviews with openness and transparency. As part of this learning and teaching opportunity, on occasion, we have requested that the topics or subjects of an interview be provided in advance in order to allow the person being interviewed an opportunity to prepare informed answers. The intent is not to require that all questions be submitted in advance but rather to offer some context for the interview so the person being interviewed can provide informed responses."

The statement also said CWU leadership has spoken with the ASCWU president, who is scheduling a forum with student media to discuss the issues.

Comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.